Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sunrose

Sorry for my boringness lately, everyone. How strange that since I have been unemployed and had really nothing but time on my hands I have been thoroughly uninspired, or maybe its just I'm too busy fretting about being unemployed.

Hail to the morning,
Beauteous Ra glorified
bursts forth in a flood of crimson
blinding golden
little Kephri
races boldly
scattering the clouds before him
all bow their heads and shade their eyes
before the power of his rising light
each bird sings
they join him in his joyous, soaring flight

Ok, what just happened there is while I was writing that gloomy sounding opening bit, the sun began to rise, and I went to the window to watch, and though it certainly wasnt the most impressive sunrise I have seen lately, it was fucking lovely anyway, and that poem/hymn/invocation came just bubbling out of me.
Then, moments after I finished it and started playing with an idea for a melody, I got a phone call from a wonderful lady who wanted to give me a job as a childrens music and art instructor! Hoorah! I start training tomorow. Its only part time and doesnt pay all that well, plus its a nightmare to get to, but whatever, who doesnt think I would kick ass in a job like that?
I shall.
Now, before that phone call came I was thinking that my Hail Ra would be a good opening for some thoughts on the impending holday season.
We are approaching Yule. Longest Night. It is a time that people like myself who suffer a touch of seasonal depression look forward to, as it heralds the Returning of the Light, even as Winter deepens. For old pagans (and many modern ones) the hope of salvation involved little more than making it through the winter. Courage and optimism are needed. The birth of the Slain God is is a sign of hope.
Compare to the yearly celebration of the (re)birth of the one known as "Light of the World".
However the sunrise is not 100% appropriate, as it is the midnight of the year. Emergence and revelation are in Spring.
This imagery is used very effectively by Christians. Note how the Nativity Scene is a lovely picture of a dark stable with lanterns gathered at the center, focused on the child that glows with his own light. And above the stable hangs a radiant star driving back the Wintery darkness. It is a cozy little island of brightness and beauty in a dark, cold world.
Extremely good use of symbolism there.
That will be the star card for my biblical tarot. Its all coming together I tell you.
I'm feeling a little more optimistic myself, all of a sudden. Music and art instructor!
And the title of this piece gave me a fucking great idea for a photoshop project. Wheeeee!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"sunrose" huh? Might I give that a try as well?

11:35 AM  
Blogger idnami said...

go for it.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the first one.

sunrose1

Also, if you need a photograph of some roses, I have one you're welcome to use.

rosesinthesun

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you still working towards this teaching job?
Sounds like a lot of fun!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home