Thursday, November 03, 2005

Post Samhain Blues

It has been said that Halloween, not Xmas, is the true season of giving. This is because we buy loads of candy and give it to whoever knocks on our doors indiscriminately, instead of buying presents for those select few we want to.
Samhain is the witches new year. The harvest is over, the darkness is closing in, winter looms like a shadow just out of sight, its icy breath raising the fine hairs on the back of your neck. The cold dark embrace beckons, and all the natural world falls into its arms with a sigh.
We celebrate in a feast of frivolity and fantasy. We hold up candles and glowsticks to ward off the approaching night. We disguise ourselves as the things we fear most, so that those spirits will think we are their kin and do us no harm as they pass. We identify with our nightmares to take away their power over us. It is a powerful time of self examination and reflection, facing the shadow self. Looking to understand the dim fears that move within us, so easily ignored by light of day...
This is the esence of magickal consciousness, my dear friends. Seeing what is actually there, seeing behind what is presented, to the essence. Taking intentional part in the mystical realities that all "belief" is based on. Sucking the juicy marrow out of every experience and witnessing the abiding truth in patterns of change.
Life is really like myths, really like fairy tales, when your mind is attuned that way. Eerie plot twists and deus ex machina surface quite naturally all the time.
And when you are attuned so it is quite natural that life should begin, to a certain extent, to flow along in harmony with seasonal tides and so on.
So its really interesting that on the day of the new year I find myself with a 30 day deadline to find a new job. Alas for the dead and gone.
I think I'm gonna go work for toys 'r' us. Halloween may be the season of giving, but Xmas is the season of selling. Alas for the appropriated and commercialized.
I applied also for an entry level graphic design position that I almost fit the qualifications for. That would rule but I am not getting my hopes too far up.
It has been a productive day considering I called in sick to work.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your word choice is immaculate, disconcerting, and entirely too coincedental to not have any meaning.

8:28 PM  
Blogger idnami said...

my thanks, good strixy, though i would say "coincidental" is an oversimplification. its thinkronicity, like i done told ya. magickal consciousness. thank you for noticing.
id also love to hear why in particular you found it so striking. do tell.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say potatoe, I say potatoe? That kind of looses all meaning in text.

10:03 PM  
Blogger idnami said...

it becomes even more meaningless when you spell potato like dan quail, but i get your point.
however, a word like coincidence means something quite different, to me, from synchronicity. coincidence implies accidentalness. a sense of things just having randomly worked out that way.
i see a network of connecting consciousnesses which belies such ideas. not everyone sees this, i dig it, but still i differentiate insistently between the two concepts.
just my thing of course.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me expand. I don't think there is anything accidental in coincidence. I don't actually believe in coincidence as an element of fate either. I look at it like a super-wave - where waves of probability combine and multiply to produce one giant wave of probability (ie. the perfect storm) - while this may be guided by the laws of physics and mathematics I wouldn't call those forces "fate". My so called psychic abilities aren't so much foreseeing the future (I see the waves) but more to the point, I'm surfing the waves. Coincidence is simply the crest of the wave I am surfing. On occasion I'll ride to the top of the wave, pull a trick, and drop back down to ride further toward the shore. Thinkronicity, coincidence or are they one and the same? Either way, I'll continue to hang 5 and kiss that spray!

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home